Traveling from Lima to Cusco is a popular itinerary for many visitors to Peru, as Cusco is the starting point for many treks to Machu Picchu. The journey from Lima to Cusco can be done by plane, bus, or car, and each option has its own pros and cons. Here’s a detailed look at the various options for traveling from Lima to Cusco:
The quickest and most convenient way to get from Lima to Cusco is by plane. There are several airlines that offer flights between the two cities, including LATAM, Avianca, and Peruvian Airlines. The flight takes about an hour and a half, and there are several flights per day.
- Fast: The flight from Lima to Cusco takes just over an hour and a half, so it’s the quickest way to get from one city to the other.
- Convenient: There are several flights per day, so it’s easy to find a flight that fits your schedule.
- Comfortable: Planes offer a more comfortable ride than buses or cars, with seats that recline and a cabin pressurized to prevent altitude sickness.
- Expensive: Plane tickets can be quite costly, especially if you book last minute or during peak season.
- Limited luggage: Most airlines have strict baggage limits, so you’ll need to pack light if you’re traveling by plane.
Traveling by Bus
Another option for traveling from Lima to Cusco is by bus. There are several companies that offer long-distance bus service between the two cities, including Cruz del Sur, Oltursa, and Ormeño. The journey takes about 24 hours and includes several stops along the way.
- Affordable: Bus tickets are generally much cheaper than plane tickets, making this a more budget-friendly option.
- Scenic route: The bus route from Lima to Cusco takes you through some beautiful landscapes, including the Andes mountains and the Peruvian countryside.
- Luggage allowance: Most bus companies allow you to bring a generous amount of luggage, so you can pack more for your trip.
- Long journey: The bus ride from Lima to Cusco takes about 24 hours, so it’s a long and tiring journey.
- Uncomfortable: Bus seats can be cramped and uncomfortable, and the ride can be bumpy.
- Risk of altitude sickness: The bus route from Lima to Cusco takes you through some high-altitude areas, which can cause altitude sickness in some people.
If you prefer a more independent and customizable travel experience, you can also rent a car and drive from Lima to Cusco. The journey takes about 20 hours and takes you through some beautiful landscapes.
- Flexibility: Renting a car gives you the freedom to stop and explore along the way, and you can set your own pace.
- Comfortable: Traveling by car allows you to have more control over your comfort, and you can bring as much luggage as you like.
- Scenic route: The drive from Lima to Cusco takes you through some beautiful landscapes, including the Andes mountains and the Peruvian countryside.
- Time-consuming: The drive from Lima to Cusco takes about 20 hours, so it’s a long and tiring journey.
- Costly: Renting a car can be expensive, especially if you’re traveling with a group.
- Risk of altitude sickness: The drive from Lima to Cusco takes you through some high-altitude areas,